Miller Glass has a complete custom screen shop.
Whether you are looking for a replacement screen for a bedroom window or a custom Rollaway screen door powder coated to your choice of color, we can help you. Bring your screens to one of our locations or we can come to you.
Please refer to the following roundup of screen facts to give you some good information about screens from Miller Glass.
Window Screen Services:
- New Window and Door Screens
- Bronze, Clear Aluminum, or White framing
- Screen Repairs and Rescreening
- Pet Grilles
- Sun Screening
- Wire Screening
- Durable material to guard against weather or pets
- Rollaway “Disappearing Window Screens & Doors”
- Great solution for swinging or entrance doors
Miller Glass does not carry stock-sized screens, however any size screen can be custom made or special ordered for special shapes, i.e. ½” rounds.
There are three main types of screens:
- Insect Screens
- Sun Screens
- Pet Screens
When ordering, you need to determine the thickness and color of the screen frame. There are four basic frame thicknesses:
- 1/4″ x3/4” (mostly used for mobile homes)
- 5/16”x 3/4”
- 3/8” x 3/4”
- 7/16” x 3/4”(normally wood windows)
Screen frames also come in four different colors:
There are two standard types of screen material used for insect screens:
- Aluminum wire insect screens are less common than fiberglass mesh and are used more often in wooden framed screens and screen doors than they are in aluminum frame windows. The benefit of using such screens is that it tends to be harder to tear and will last longer. The negative aspect of using aluminum wire screens is that it is more costly, corrodes over time, and dents easily.
Aluminum wire insect screen comes in aluminum color or charcoal (black)
- Fiberglass mesh insect screen is the most common of all screen material. The benefits to using fiberglass screen material are that it is less costly than wire and it will not dent or crease. It is also easier to work with for the do-it-yourself customer. Fiberglass is rarely used on wood screens or wood screen doors.
- Fiberglass mesh screen comes in two colors, black or gray.
- Sunscreens are a fiberglass mesh that have tightly woven strands of fiberglass running through it to reduce the amount of sunlight that penetrates through the screen. Sunscreens are very effective and can reduce up to 90% of the sun and its heat from coming through the screen material.
- Sunscreens are generally applied to the exterior of the home and cover up an existing window or can be mounted on a porch. They can also be mounted on the inside of the home in skylight wells to prevent excess light from coming in from the skylight.
- Miller Glass carries three basic colors of sunscreen: Grey, Black, and Stucco
Sunscreen is usually installed in one of two types of aluminum frames:
- Heavy duty 1” x 7/16” box frame
- ¾” x 7/16” lip frame
- Lip frame is a box frame with a ½” flange on it
- Pet screen is a reinforced fiberglass screen that resists the abuse of cats and dogs scratching the screen. Pet screen is generally used in screen doors only. This is a good upgrade to regular fiberglass screen in screen doors. It is more expensive than standard fiberglass, but is worth the cost.
- Pet screen comes in two colors: Black & Grey
- Screen doors are priced per item. Miller Glass carries some stock size screen doors and can also build special sizes to fit just about any size condition.
- We carry three basic types of screen doors:
- Sliding screen doors
- Swinging screen doors
- Rollaway screen doors
Sliding Screen Doors:
- Sliding screen doors are the most common and are used for sliding glass doors. They come in two different frame types and three colors: White, Bronze & Aluminum
- The less expensive type is the roll form screen door. Roll form doors are made from a thin sheet of metal and are rolled into the shape needed to build the doorframe. These doors come with plastic rollers and a plastic handle set. Property managements and rental units most commonly use these.
- Extruded screen doors are made from a solid piece of aluminum pushed through a die that cuts it into its shape. These doors are much stronger than roll form doors and come complete with metal wheels, a metal handle and lock set.
- Both roll form and extruded doors can be made with any of the available types of screen material. (Fiberglass insect screen is standard.)
Swinging Screen Doors:
- Miller Glass has three sizes of swinging screen doors. 30”, 32” and 36″
- These are the most common screen door sizes and will fit most standard doors. The style we carry is the Riviera, which is made by R-Lang manufacturing. It comes in four standard colors: Aluminum, White, Bronze & Desert Sand
- All four doors come standard with charcoal insect screen.
- The doors come standard with two push bars, a pet grill, and a 10” kick plate. Any one, or all of these items may be left off if you desire.
- These doors can also be used to accommodate French Doors with an opening 72” wide.
Rollaway and Phantom Screens:
- These screen doors are also known as disappearing screens. They roll up into their own housing to protect the screen material and to remain out of the way when they are not in use. They come in four standard colors: White, Black, Desert Sand & Bronze
- These doors can be screened with insect screen or sunscreen.
- These screens can be used for windows, hinge doors and French doors.